Thursday, April 5, 2012

Still Alive, I Promise!

Ever watched "The Biggest Loser"? Ever wanted to try it?
Well, W. and I are. Trying it, that is. The Biggest Loser competition between the two of us.
Which means... I'm tired, sore, and hungry. And still being a reasonably nice person.
How is that, you may ask?
Knitting. Glorious, simple, lovely, complex, fun, distracting, focusing knitting. Specifically , this:
 This is the Bombshell, from Big Girl Knits by, Jillian Moreno and Amy R. Singer.
I bought this book about year ago, but haven't had the courage to make anything from it.

This is my first attempt at an Adult Sweater.
My biggest concern about starting the Adult Sweater is yardage. I've done several baby sweaters, all which take one or two skeins of yarn, max. Not a huge investment for something that might not turn out right.
But an Adult Sweater?
That's at least five skeins right there, depending on which yarn used. Sometimes, for us BG's, it can take ten, twelve, fifteen skeins! At $5 per skein, that is a serious investment. 


 With this one, I was lucky. The yarn I decided on, Caron Simply Soft, has a good amount of yardage on each skein, so I only needed four. You can see my maths on the page right there. I know, your not supposed to write on the page, my inner middle school librarian is yelling at me too. At least I used pencil, okay?

  Plus, it was on sale for 2.50 each. Not bad at all!  Seeing the yarn in the color I wanted, on sale, with enough that I cold make this sweater, AND enough for a headband/ something cute to wear with it, I decided to take the plunge.
 Knitting an Adult Sweater is not as daunting as I thought it would be.
But then, I picked a easy pattern, top down, raglan short sleeves, simple shaping.
 I may have ruined my self as far as ease of knitting goes, I doubt I'll ever find pattern as simple and charming as this one.
BTW- these pic were taken 2 or 3 days after I started th Adult Sweater, and I'm already almost at the armpits. Quick, it is also. I mean, along with easy and charming.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your blog Saylor, even though I am not into knitting at all. I just got a visa card to buy a plane ticket and there is some money left over I am totally going to check out your site. I wear hats all the time. Can not wait to see how your sweater turns out! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete